'Mister Jalopy' is the reuse, recycle guru

18 August 2009

LOS ANGELES, CaliforniaThere is a "maker's movement" gaining prominence on a global scale.
Mister Jalopy works out of converted hot-rod repair shop. This is where he builds "the stuff of my dreams."
1 of 3 One of its pied pipers is a man known by his pen name, Mister Jalopy. His agenda is simple. "You need to be able to modify, hack, repair, rebuild and reuse the stuff that you buy."
Mister Jalopy's name comes from a blog he started years ago.
From his Web site:
"When I started the Hooptyrides blog, I pictured a modest used car lot of broken-down, flat-tired junkers that represented great promise and little else. Lit with strings of bare light bulbs, I dreamed of a little desert lot of plucky automobiles and a faded neon sign that erratically blinked 'Mister Jalopy's Hooptyrides.' "
Mister Jalopy owns a laundromat and a used-bicycle store, and he operates out of a converted hot-rod repair shop along an industrial strip of land in the shadow of Interstate 5.
He calls his workshop "Hooptyrides World Headquarters." "It's my personal shop where I do my writing, think up my crackpot business schemes, repair bicycles and do my auto maintenance ... where I build the stuff of my dreams." source: cnn.com
It's brimming with high-quality tools, odds and ends from 20 years of harvesting garage sales, and machines like a lathe and welder that would delight a working tradesman.

Posted by News Point at 5:40 AM  
0 comments

Post a Comment

Followers