Bolt storms through to 200m semis

18 August 2009

Jamaica's Usain Bolt remains on track for a World Championships sprint double after easing into the 200m semi-finals in Berlin's Olympic Stadium.
Bolt, fresh from winning the 100m, won his second-round heat in 20.42 seconds.
Britain's Marlon Devonish and Ireland's Paul Hession also qualified after Tyson Gay pulled out with a groin injury.
In the 400m, defending champion Jeremy Wariner and Olympic champion Lashawn Merritt sauntered into the semi-finals by comfortably winning their heats.
Gay's withdrawal from the 200m before the first round had already increased Bolt's chance of repeating his Beijing double, with the semi-finals scheduled for Wednesday at 1825 BST and the final on Thursday.
Bolt looked tired in his morning heat and, despite cruising through the first 100m, the 22-year-old was forced to up his pace to ensure he qualified first in a time of in 20.70.
But he seemed far more relaxed in the second round and cruised to victory after a few hours' sleep in between races.
606: DEBATE What a man. Charisma, personality, the build of a superhuman, his banter to the camera before the gun... downtownchris
"I think the 100m took a lot more out of me than it did in Beijing," said Bolt. "I wasn't in the best of shape, like I was in Beijing, but a good night's sleep should make sure I'm OK.
"I got three hours sleep after my morning heat and that was enough for me." source: bbc.com

Posted by News Point at 11:17 PM  
0 comments

Post a Comment

Followers